Sunday, October 18, 2009

#1

My life is made up of doing things in bites, small chunks, a little of this and a little of that. I flit from topic to topic, hobby to hobby, vocation to vocation (I have kept my family, however). Eventually I circle back to previous interests but just can’t stay long on one thing. The subject gets tedious and I get bored. It’s history today, Roman, no, make that American. Tomorrow is Ann Tyler fiction, and the next day is, hmmm, maybe gardening, birdwatching, or a photo shoot.

I’ve always admired people who obtain great depth of knowledge in one field. But I can’t pick one. I’ll never be an expert at anything. I know a little bit about a lot of things. Excelling at nothing, I do many things adequately. The single-minded thoroughness that is required for a specialization is a trait I do not possess. Is this a shortcoming? Maybe. Diving too deeply into any one thing makes me worry that I might miss something else.

All in all I’m ok with my approach to life. Although I don’t drink too deeply from any one well, I do appreciate the many flavors provided by a multitude of them.

Posted by ionnature at 2:47 PM 0 comments
Labels: , ,

No comments:

Post a Comment